Historical monuments nearby

Print
  • id
  • "Esma han Sultan" Mosque - MANGALIA
  • MANGALIA, 1 Oituz Street
  • 1590
  • CT-II-a-A-02901
  • It was built by the Sultan who named it by his daughter, Esma Han princess, as a gratitude to Allah for the conquest of Dobruja. The opinion that it was built soon after the conquest of Dobruja, is confirmed by the dating of monuments, tombstones in the yard. Standing by these inscriptions, some as old as 1603, erection of the Mosque is far older than the respective burial date.
    Inscriptions are placed on both sides of the mihrab - Allah and Muhammad - and another three on both sides of balconies. Above the mihrab is written in Arabic: That which came first to preach in mimber and then the mihrab is Muhammad. On the other 6 inscriptions appear Allah name, Muhammad and the 4 caliphs: Ebu Bechir, Sârdic, Omer Faruk ,Osman Ali. Above the entrance outside, the following inscription is carved in marble: God is only one and Muhammad is his prophet, the one that fought for the equality of people. The Mosque consists of a Moorish style mihrab, 2 mimberi - a large one left of the mihrab and a small one to the right in the corner - 2 balconies left and right of the entry and the minaret. Originally unplastered, the Mosque was then plastered during a restoration. During restoration of 1858-1859, the plaster was removed once more.
    The original shape and successive processing stages: A minaret was struck by lightning in 1891 and restored in 1892
    The building system and materials used: the Mosque is build out of large blocks of limestone linked together by yellow clay. The floor is made of hexagonal bricks that were laid recently on the occasion of restoration. The ceiling is made of wood. The covering consists of curved tiles (the body of the Mosque) and made of tin (the minaret). Doors and windows carpentry are made of wood. The windows are covered with iron grills. The porch at the entrance is supported by wooden columns with plain capitals.